All aboard the history train with our heritage adventure in Welshpool.
A vintage day out that includes a fairy-tale castle and ride on a steam train.
- Leave Shrewsbury on the hourly train to Welshpool, only 20 minutes away.
- A one mile walk along the main street brings you to the hiss and whistle of the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, for a 16 mile (2½ hour) round trip around the charming Banwy Valley, leaves around 11am*, £13 wllr.org.uk
- Back in town, the vintage theme continues at the Bay Tree tea rooms and Mollie’s traditional sweet shop, on Church street
- Half way along the High Street (almost opposite town hall) is Park Lane, start of 1-mile uphill walk, through wooded deer park, to the fairy-tale Powis Castle (allow at least 3 hours).
- Lose yourself in the Alice-in-Wonderland maze of terraces, hedges and giant yew tree topiary. Explore the castle itself – awash with fabulous fabrics and artworks – for the full ‘Downton’ experience. You can even take tea on the terrace. Gardens stay open ‘til 6pm in summer. 2for1 entry with your train ticket. nationaltrust.org.uk
- If you have time, pop into the small but beautiful Powysland museum beside the canal.
- Allow plenty of time to make it over the long footbridge to catch your train home